Since its early beginnings, Baptist Association of Christian Educators (BACE) has grown out of a desire from Christian educators in Southern Baptist churches to have a common place to focus on current practices, build relationships, and offer support to one another as they serve the cause of Christ through the local church. In 1955, there were three distinct regional associations that supported this work. The Baptist Sunday School Board (LifeWay), at the invitation of these three associations, led the effort to unite these three groups into one organization, the Southern Baptist Religious Education Association (SBREA). Over the years there have been additional opportunities to unite with other Baptist associations such as the Baptist Religious Educators Association of the Southwest (BREAS). In 2001, SBREA changed its name to Baptist Association of Christian Educators (BACE) in order to better address the changes taking place in the world of education ministry in the local church.
Over the years, uniting together to focus on the cause of Christian education ministry in the local church has been vital as we have continued to join Christ in His mission of making disciples and equipping the saints. As was true in the day when Dr. J.M. Price, a pioneer and advocate for the work of Baptist Christian education, there is today, as he stated, “great progress . . . yet there remains much ground to be possessed.”
Change has certainly affected the Christian education landscape over the past several years. Even the term, Christian education, has taken on different meanings and is expressed in different ways. Staff members responsible for this area of work might be called by different titles – Minister of Education; Discipleship Pastor; Small Groups Pastor; Adult Pastor; Young Adult Pastor; etc. – but we still all focus on a common goal: building and growing up the body of Christ, His church!
Today, BACE stands poised to support the next generation of Christian educators, no matter how that ministry is expressed or described.
To support the work of leaders who equip the church to make disciples.
To provide opportunities for BACE members to encourage, network, discover, and learn from one another as they join together to build and grow up the body of Christ, His church.
- God—There is one and only one living and true God who reveals Himself to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- The Bible—The Holy Bible is the only infallible, authoritative Word of God and is the sole basis for our doctrine and beliefs.
- The Believer—As people who have been redeemed through Jesus Christ, believers have been uniquely designed by their Creator and empowered by His Spirit to live out The Great Commission and The Great Commandment.
- The Body—The church, consisting of born-again, baptized believers, is the Body of Christ, banded together to fulfill The Great Commission and The Great Commandment.
- The Family—God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. It is composed of persons related to one another by marriage, blood or adoption. Marriage is the uniting of one man and one woman in covenant commitment for a lifetime. Children, from the moment of conception, are a blessing and heritage from the Lord.