Release Your Team From Responsibility
How many times have you gone into a meeting with volunteers or with paid staff and began sharing your most recent ideas? What happens when you do this? Ron Edmondson, in a blog post entitled, One Simple, But HUGE Way to Better Empower a Team, provides insight into what is going through the minds of the team:
- How do the leaders thoughts relate to me personally?
- What do you want me to do with that new idea?
- How do you want me to help?
- What’s my role going to be in this?
- Are you going to hold me accountable for this?
- Do you expect something from me here?
Ron goes on to explain how you can alleviate these questions with one simple line of communication: “You are not responsible for this.” This can help a team understand when you expect them to respond and how they should react to new information being shared. Ron is a member of BACE and one of our featured speakers at our 2018 conference. Read more about what Ron has to say about empowering your team.